Thank you for your interest in the MFA Studio Art program at Michigan State University. To best serve its students, the Department of Art, Art History, and Design is in the process of dynamically restructuring and reimagining its MFA program. As a result, we are not admitting new graduate students for the 2018-19 academic year. Please check back with us in 2018 to learn more about our exciting new MFA programs.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Michigan State University has an online application system through the Office of Admissions. Applicants are required to identify their concentration when they submit their online application (Ceramics, Graphic Design, Painting, Printmaking, or Sculpture). The program is designed to allow concentration in an individual discipline within a multi-disciplinary environment where exploration and experimentation across media are welcomed. It is not uncommon for MFA candidates to work individually or collaboratively with mixed media, installation, video, or performance. Many of our MFA's are creating work at the intersection of or space between the various concentration areas. We feel that a multi-disciplinary environment is reflective of the contemporary art world and is key to a successful MFA experience for many artists.
- Statement of Intent / Artist Statement - this brief statement provides the applicant the opportunity to discuss their work, the issues they find most compelling that drives the work, and address sources that inform their work. In addition, please address reasons/goals for pursuing the MFA degree track in the Department of Art, Art History, and Design at Michigan State University. This should be uploaded in the MSU online application.
- Personal Statement (Optional)- For the personal statement, it is up to you whether or not you submit. If you elect to do so, the faculty will review. The personal statement is intended to provide applicants the opportunity to share biographical information that they would like the review committee to know, but that doesn't necessarily fit within the statement of intent/artist statement. You could think of this personal statement as a biography of sorts - it could allow you to share information about your background, interests, hardships, your past education experience and future educational goals, professional goals, etc. This should be uploaded in the MSU online application if you choose in include it with your application.
- Transcripts from undergraduate institution(s) - these must be official transcripts (generally sent directly from the institution). A cumulative 3.0 GPA is a requirement of Department of Art, Art History, and Design at Michigan State University for regular admittance. We will accept transcripts sent from the student if they are stamped and or signed officially on the back by the institution. Mailed directly to the Department of Art, Art History, and Design, 600 Auditorium Road, East Lansing, MI 48824.
- Current resume/CV - include academic honors, scholarships, exhibition record, special skills and expertise, and prior teaching experience. This should be uploaded in the MSU online application.
- Three letters of recommendation - from faculty members or others who are familiar with the applicant's creative research. These can be sent directly to the department or uploaded into the online application directly by the recommender, without any specific cover letter. They can be addressed to "Master of Fine Arts Review Committee"
- Portfolio of 15-20 images - must be submitted digitally using slideroom.
- TOEFL / IELTS – International Students are required to take an English Language Proficiency exam. Results can be Mailed directly to the Department of Art, Art History, and Design, 600 Auditorium Road, East Lansing, MI 48824.